Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Impressions

It's been a few weeks since our team traveled down to Kentucky. We all learned countless things on this trip, but instead of me just mentioning what I learned, I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone say their thoughts.

"I learned about how holding onto the past can affect your future. My first workday in Kentucky was spent mostly sitting around not wanting to do anything for fear of screwing it up. I think the most I did was cut a piece of metal off of another piece of metal. The next day, Jason, one of the leaders of a smaller group from a different church, handed me a giant power saw and told me to go destroy the bathroom. And I was like...What? So I went into the bathroom and completely destroyed the bathtub. Correctly. And from that moment on, I was able to put in my full effort of work. So that night, during debrief, I was thinking to myself. "Why couldn't you just work like you did today? Why were you so afraid of failure?" And throughout the rest of the week, I slowly began to realize that it was because I had failed in so many other areas of life, that I didn't want to add to the list. I've had people do things to me, and I've also done things to myself, but the past is the past. God has forgiven me and the people that hurt me, so there's no point in continuing to let those things dictate my life. Going on Kentucky helped me to see that despite my thinking that all was forgiven, I was still holding onto a lot of stuff. I spent an entire night lying in bed without sleep, thinking of every last thing that still bothered me. And when I thought of something, I would immediately give it up to God. The feeling of cleansing the next morning was amazing; it felt like 50 pounds had literally been lifted off of me. Kentucky, despite not being a "Jamaica" or any other international missions trip, is still ranked up there as one of the trips that influenced me the most. "
---Isaac Butler

"I learned to have joy in serving people who needed."
---Ade Olaniran

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment